How to Be a Preppy Girl
“Prep” style clothing comes from “the prep school look”; the smart students aiming for college and professional careers. It has a focus on smart, classic, understated looks. But this look has a fun side, as it combines fun prints with bold colors to create a modest and classy look for young adults. It’s extremely easy to make the style your own! You can become a preppy girl easily by dressing in the preppy style, focusing on your personal hygiene, and having a positive attitude.
Dressing in the Preppy Style
- Plain colored t-shirts in white, navy blue, pastel colors, red, and neutrals
- Solid or striped blouses in bright, eye-catching colors like pink, blue and white
- Dark wash skinny jeans and khaki pants
- Plain colored cardigans in pastel or basic colors
- Navy, black, or white colored blazers
- Solid color chino shorts in khaki, navy, or white
- Riding boots, boat shoes, and basic ballet flats
Follow preppy brands and bloggers on social media. Preppy girls tend to refer to specific brands that make clothing of their style most often. Following the brands on social media will give you ideas for how to style pieces and show you what’s trendy and fashionable for this season. You don’t have to necessarily buy the brand name, in fact.
- Some popular preppy brands to get inspiration from are Vineyard Vines, Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Tory Burch, Lacoste, Kate Spade, Lilly Pulitzer, Kendra Scott, Simply Southern, Ann Taylor Loft, Tommy Hilfiger, and J. Crew.
- It’s easy to find affordable, preppy-style items at stores like Target, Old Navy, and T.J. Maxx. At these stores, you can get the look you want without spending quite as much money on the designer name!
Mix and match pieces to create different outfits. One of the best parts about having a preppy wardrobe is the ability to match different pieces to create unique outfits. Layering, print-mixing, and pairing bright colors with neutrals are all techniques used to make the perfect preppy outfit.
- For a nice dinner out in the summer, you could wear a printed skirt, solid shirt to match, a bright statement necklace, and strappy sandals
- For school in the winter, you can wear red and white striped sweater layered over a light chambray shirt, dark-wash skinny jeans, brown leather riding boots, and ruffled socks.
- For school in the springtime, you can wear a pair of floral chino shorts with a matching colored polo tucked in, a brown belt, and a pair of boat shoes.
- On a casual summer day, wear a short sleeve t-shirt, white chino shorts, with a matching pair of canvas sneakers, and statement headband.
- During the colder months, wear a long sleeve shirt or blouse, dark wash skinny jeans, riding boots, a warm headband, and layer a fuzzy jacket over top.
Accessorize with purses, belts, and jewelry. Accessories are extremely important to the preppy style, and will help pull your look together. Preppy girls tend to wear statement jewelry, large tote bags, and sleek belts.
- You can pair a neutral-colored tote bag with almost any outfit, and they’re extremely functional, especially for going to work or class!
- Sleek belts in black, navy, red, or tan can help to pull a look together and accentuate your waist.
- Add a statement necklace to an outfit to draw attention to your upper body and face. This is a great accessory to spice up plain outfits like jeans and a t-shirt.
- Wear plain earrings, like studs, to complement your look. For a fancier event, you can wear a matching necklace and earring set.
- Nautical rope bracelets are very popular for casual wear, as well as metal bangle charm bracelets. They come in different colors and can complete a more muted outfit.
Style your hair in a sleek and clean look. Hairstyles for preppy girls are easy whether your hair is straight, curly or somewhere in between. Make sure your hair is clean, and use hairspray and styling mousse to tame flyaways or frizz.
- For a plain, cute look, wear your hair down and natural with a barrette or bobby pin holding some hair off to the side.
- Accessorize a curled look with a statement headband.
- Do sleek braids in your hair to keep it out of your face on days where you’re busy.
- Pull your hair into a medium-height ponytail with a bow for a quick and simple hairdo.
Wash your face every day to prevent breakouts. Having clear skin is especially important for preppy girls because they tend to wear more natural looking makeup. Wash your face everyday with a gentle cleanser before you go to sleep.
- If you get breakouts often, which are sometimes inevitable, use a face wash that is specifically formulated for acne treatment.
- If you have sensitive skin, look for an unscented cleanser to avoid irritating your face, which can make skincare difficult.
Wear simple makeup in colors that complement your outfit. For preppy girls, foundation, mascara, light eyeliner, blush and lipstick are the key components to most makeup looks. The key is to keep it simple and highlight your natural beauty.
- Apply your concealer and foundation in areas where you have redness or breakouts. If you’re comfortable with your natural skin, you don’t have to wear foundation at all.
- Avoid using bright or dark eyeshadow colors. For a clean and classic preppy look, apply a light brown color all over your lid before applying eyeliner and mascara.
- Make sure your mascara doesn’t clump. If it does, select a mascara with a smoother formula or use a wand with smaller bristles.
- Use a light pink or red blush on the apples of your cheeks to give you a pretty glow.
- Apply light pink or neutral colored lipstick for everyday looks. On days where you want to stand out, use bright red lipstick with blue undertones.
Maintain good personal hygiene. This includes showering every day and brushing your teeth twice a day. Good hygiene is a huge part of maintaining the put-together and clean cut preppy look.
- If your teeth have a natural yellow tint to them, you might try teeth whitening. There are many different options for whitening, so you should talk to your dentist before trying a new method.
Keep your nails trimmed and wear nail polish if you’re comfortable with it. Avoid bright colored nail polish because it can clash with different colors or prints in your outfit. Instead, pick light creams and pinks, or a french tip style that goes with any look.
- If you’re not good at applying polish or trimming your nails, consider getting a basic or gel manicure once or twice per month. Avoid long acrylic nails, which can get dirty easily and tend to look less professional.
- Gel nail polish will last longer than a basic manicure, but tends to be slightly more expensive. For regular nail maintenance like trimming, filing, and cuticle care, you can get a manicure without polish or with clear polish.
Select a light, muted perfume as your signature scent. Choose a scent that isn’t overpowering, such as a light floral smell, or a clean scent. Apply only 1-2 sprays each day to avoid smelling too strong.
- A good perfume is especially helpful for hot summer days when you might sweat a lot. It can help you to smell good all day long!
Having a Preppy Attitude
Be confident in yourself. Prepsters have brains, a sense of classic style, and an optimistic outlook. Part of the classic preppy look comes from confidence in timeless clothing. As a preppy girl, be confident in yourself by holding your head high, speaking with conviction, and being proud of who you are.
- If you have problems with low self esteem, changing your style might be the first step to gaining some confidence in yourself.
Be classy at all times. Avoid using bad language, gossiping, or doing things that are considered tacky or tasteless. Be polite to other people by minding your manners, and always think before speaking.
- It can be difficult to remain classy, especially if your friends aren’t always. Try your hardest to always be pleasant and have a smile on your face.
Try some “preppy” sports. You don’t have to play a preppy sport to have preppy style, but there are a few unique sports that are played most often by preppy girls. Rowing,tennis, volleyball, Lacrosse, sailing, golf, track and field, ballet, swimming, field hockey, soccer,horseback riding, and cheerleading are all popular sports for preppy girls.
- Anything that gets you moving and makes you feel good is a positive addition to your style, so don’t feel confined to a list of a few “preppy” sports if they don’t interest you.
Be nice to other people. You don’t have to be best friends with everyone, but you shouldn’t be rude or mean to other people. Try to be pleasant, kind, and cheerful. Avoid gossiping, bullying, or manipulating other people.
- If you see another person is struggling, try to help them out. Going out of your way to help someone is kind and can really go a long way toward making them feel good.
Source – wikihow.com