Turkey Recipe for the Best Thanksgiving Dinner Ever
Aromatic lemon, apple, and herb turkey
Turkey recipe: this aromatic lemon, apple and herb turkey is moist, tender, delicious and the perfect centerpiece for your holiday meal! Easy to make and bursting with flavor.
- 1 Turkey (12-18lbs, although you can go bigger, you may have to adjust ingredients accordingly)
- 1.5 heaping cup salt
- 1.5 gallons water
- 8 bay leaves
- 1/2 c molasses -or- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 6 lemons washed and quartered
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- Combine all ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes, or until salt and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- 1/2 cube softened butter (4 TBS Butter)
- 1 c chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients and mix well
- 1 red apple sliced
- 1 onion quartered
- 1tsp or 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 6 sage leaves
- 1.5 c Gingerale
- Soak turkey in brine 1.5 hours per pound. Once bird has soaked for required time, remove bird from the brine and rinse well with cold water. Discard your brine. At this point you can either put bird in the refrigerator overnight, or cook immediately.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place your bird on the rack in your roasting pan. Pat dry with paper towels. At the rear end of the bird, slide your fingers into the space between the skin and the meat. Slowly pry the two apart starting at the rear and working your way up to the neck on the breast side of the bird. Stuff your herb butter into this pocket you have just created.
- Combine all aromatic ingredients into a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. This will steep your ingredients. Add the steeped aromatics to the turkey’s cavity.
- Tuck the wings underneath the bird. Coat the skin liberally with canola oil. Salt the skin generously.
- Roast the turkey on the lowest level of your oven at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Then cover the breast portion of your turkey with a foil shield and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook until the thickest part of the turkey breast reads at 163 degrees Fahrenheit. (a 14-16 pound turkey usually takes approx. 2.5 hours AFTER the 30 minute high roast)
- When you remove your turkey from oven, let rest 20-30 minutes before carving.