Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
The near constant dreariness around here is making me regress slightly and crave comfort foods, like the Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo I made for dinner tonight.
This is the kind of meal that makes you sit back and sigh with satisfaction when you’re done. Healthy, filling, and indulgent tasting. Seriously yummy stuff!
Start by cooking 1/2 box (8oz) short pasta in salted, boiling water. Don’t forget to salt the water with at least a Tablespoon of salt – it makes all the flavor difference in the world. Before draining the pasta, reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water. You’ll see why later.
While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add in a couple cloves of minced garlic, then cook until the garlic turns golden brown, about a minute.
When the garlic is golden brown and fragrant, whisk in 2 Tablespoons flour and cook, whisking constantly, for about another minute. It’ll be foamy, bubbly and fun, but don’t get distracted!
Next, slowly whisk in 1 cup chicken broth, incorporating it with the flour, then whisk in 1/4 cup milk. Shhh, don’t tell, but I only had unsweetened vanilla almond breeze on hand. Tasted perfectly fine!
Add in 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt with salt and pepper, then let the sauce bubble away for a few minutes to get thick and delicious.
Finally, stir in 3/4 cup parmesan cheese and 2 chopped, cooked chicken breasts. I actually cooked the chicken while making Buffalo Chicken BLAT Wraps a couple days ago to save some time. Just seasoned ’em with salt & pepper then cooked in a skillet in non-stick spray. Cook once, use twice!
Add the alfredo sauce and chicken to the cooked pasta, then add in 2 cups cooked broccoli. If you’re smart, you’ll cook the broccoli in with the pasta during the last 3-4 minutes of cooking time. If you’re me, you’ll forget, drain the pasta, then have to steam the broccoli in a separate pan. Blerg! At any rate, add in some of the pasta cooking water at this time if you feel the sauce is too thick, and stir everything together.
- 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper then cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 8oz gluten-free or regular rotini
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind, I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water before draining. Set aside.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour then whisk to incorporate and cook for 1 additional minute
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, then milk. Whisk in Greek yogurt, salt and pepper, then turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off then stir in parmesan cheese, then chicken. Pour over cooked pasta then add broccoli and stir well. Add a little reserved pasta cooking water if sauce is too thick. Serve.
Source – iowagirleats.com