Pasta with Chickpea Sauce
Onions, carrots, and garlic cook in olive oil until buttery soft, then get blended with chickpeas and water to form a deeply savory puree that coats pasta beautifully. It’s a satisfying dish that just happens to be vegan. Try to let the blender run for a minute or two when pureeing the ingredients; the smoother the sauce, the better the dish. A flourish of fresh herbs at the end brightens and freshens the dish; you can use all parsley or all basil if you don’t have both on hand.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup drained canned unsalted chickpeas
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked whole-grain penne (8 oz. uncooked)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
How to Make It
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium.
- Add onion, carrot, and minced garlic; cook 8 minutes
- Place onion mixture, chickpeas, water, salt, and pepper in a blender; process until smooth.
- Toss with hot cooked penne; sprinkle with parsley and basil.