Lenten Godz (Ukrainian Soup recipe)
Traditionally, this dish is cooked over fire outdoors in a big kettle and is considered to be one of the protagonists on vibrant Ukrainian feasts and weddings. In general, it is an aromatic soup that bears a vague resemblance to rassolnik. The meat godz is made with meat bones stock. This recipe is tailored to be made at home and it will be as tasty and rich.
- If you use non-steamed rice, then rinse and boil the raw rice.
- The dish should be cooked in kettle or casserole with thick bottom. Peel and chop the onion. Peel and grate the carrot. Fry the onion and carrot in vegetable oil.
- Properly rinse and chop the mushrooms; add them to carrot and onion, and fry.
- Rinse, trim off the stem end, deseed and shred the pepper. Combine the haricot beans, rice and pepper with vegetables.
- Peel and dice the potatoes, add them to the vegetables. Put the lid on and braise for 15 mins over low heat. Add water if necessary.
- Shred or coarsely dice the pickled cucumbers. Add the cucumber to the vegetables, braise for a further minute, then pour boiling water over, add the bay leaf, salt, pepper, and species to taste and simmer for one hour or an hour and a half.
- Serve the finished godz with sour cream and herbs.