Kale, Quinoa And Mushroom Breakfast Bowl
Quinoa cooked in a mushroom gravy gives this superfood kale and spinach breakfast bowl recipe a flavor punch that’s as tasty as it is easy. Pair it with a soft-boiled egg, and you’ve got a healthy breakfast that will power you through even the toughest mornings.
Breakfast has become one of the best opportunities to get some greens into everyone’s diet. It’s the first chance we all have to start the day eating on the right foot (or plate). And by making something that’s fast, easy and so incredibly savory, there’s little not to love.
Made with quinoa, nuts, kale and spinach, this breakfast bowl is packed full of protein, calcium and hard-to-get nutrients. Topping it with a perfectly runny 6-minute egg gives the whole dish a necessary creaminess, while radish sprouts add a little kick at the end. But the best, most secret savory ingredient here is the mushroom gravy from BOU.
Make sure not to overcook your greens in order to retain that bright green color and all the nutrients. It only takes a few minutes to wilt them down, and then breakfast is set.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 15 minutes TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 BOU mushroom gravy cube
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons pecans, almonds or cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch dino kale, leaves roughly torn or chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Radish sprouts
- In a medium pot over high heat bring the water to a boil. Add the gravy cube and stir to dissolve. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat, and simmer until all the water has absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In the same pan over high heat, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Gently add the eggs and set timer for 6 minutes if you want a soft yolk, and 8 minutes for a firm yolk. Remove eggs from the water and run under a cool tap. Then peel and set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, warm the coconut oil until melted. Add the shallot, garlic and almonds, and cook until the almonds become lightly golden. Add the kale and spinach and saute until wilted, but still a bright green. Stir in the cooked quinoa and season with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to bowls. Top with the eggs and garnish with hemp seeds and radish sprouts.