Healthy One-Pot Enchilada Pasta – Vegetarian + Gluten-Free
This healthy one-pot enchilada pasta is quick, easy, and ready to rock your plate! Vegetarian + Gluten Free
This healthy one pot pasta makes an easy + delicious dinner!
- 1 (8 oz) box Chickapea Pasta
- 2 + 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2-1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn (canned works too!) extra if desired
- 1-2 cups black beans, to taste (drained + rinsed)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar + havarti)
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro and/or Green Onion
- Chopped Tomato
- Finely Diced Jalapeño
- If you plan on popping this bad boy in the oven to melt the cheese, use an oven-safe pot/pan and pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prefer to stir the cheese into the pasta? Skip ze oven.
- First combine your enchilada sauce and refried beans and whisk together to mix well. This unsuspecting combo amps up the flavor, adds luscious thickness, and boosts the protein/fiber content of your zest red enchilada sauce.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add half of the bean-spiked enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and chickapea pasta.
- Bring to a boil, then add corn and black beans (as much as you’d like!) and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to low/simmer, allowing the pasta approx. 20 minutes to cook or until your perfect level of al-dente. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once ready, add any additional enchilada sauce to taste. I like to save some to pour over my pasta when reheating leftovers, as the pasta tends to soak up some of the sauce in the fridge (hello flavor infusion!)
- Add your cheese. You can swirl it into the pasta or sprinkle on top and use an oven mit to transfer pot to oven, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until hot and melty!
- Top with all your favorite toppings and enjoy! This delish dish tastes great the first day and equally awesome the next.
Vegan? Let’s do this! To veganize this veg-tastic dish simply omit the cheese and skip any dairy-based toppings entirely! Plant-based shredded cheese makes a lovely addition as does vegan sour cream as a topping if you’d like! You can even add some fresh guacamole on top, YUM!
Source – peasandcrayons.com