Chipotle Sofritas Recipe
This Chipotle Sofritas recipe tastes just like the original! Shredded tofu braised in spices makes a great vegan option for burritos, tacos, and salads.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or rice bran oil (or any other neutral oil)
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu pressed, cut into 8 slices (see notes)
For the Marinade:
- 1 medium tomato quartered
- 1/2 yellow onion quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (about 1/2 cup) green bell pepper deseeded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 chipotle chilies (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried italian oregano
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup water plus additional water as needed for braising the tofu
In a skillet over medium-high heat, bring oil to a shimmer. Cooking in batches, carefully place the tofu in the pan, flip occasionally, and cook until the tofu is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
Meanwhile, for the marinade, in a food processor, combine the tomato, yellow onion, garlic, green bell pepper, cumin, ancho chili powder, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, dried italian oregano, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and the water. Pulse until the marinade is slightly chunky and thoroughly combined. Set aside.
Roughly chop the tofu, or pulse the tofu in a food processor until the tofu is roughly in 1/4 inch pieces. Place in a bowl and add the marinade. Cover and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the refrigerator.
Once marinated, heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the marinated tofu and any remaining marinade. Add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Add additional water to desired consistency. (I like there to be additional liquid for serving.) Reduce to simmering. Cook until the tofu throughout heated, about 10 minutes. Serve.
- To press the tofu: drain the tofu and wrap in paper towels and place in a dish. Place a heavy object, such as a can, on the tofu for about 15 minutes, to remove moisture. Or, use this easy tofu press.
- To obtain adobo sauce and chipotle chilies: strain adobo sauce into a small bowl, pressing down on the peppers to extract as much liquid as possible (you should have at least ¼ cup). Reserve remaining chipotle chilies and sauce for another use.
Sourse – culinaryhill.com