THE CABBAGE SOUP DIET
Wonderfully pure, a “vat” of this stuff lasts about a week, depending on how much you eat each day. Eat as much of the soup as you like, as often as you like.
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded or chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 16 to 28 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pound green beans, stem ends snapped, sliced on the diagonal
- Black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, sage, dill, cilantro, or thyme
- Balsamic vinegar or lemon or lime juice
- Minced fresh herbs
- Chopped green onions
- To Prepare
- Prep all the ingredients as directed in the recipe list.
- To Cook
- Put all the vegetables in a big soup pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and boil gently for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Stir in the black pepper and chopped herbs.
- To Serve
- This soup can be served hot or cold. It can be pureed or partially pureed to vary textures. It can be seasoned differently for variety, with balsamic vinegar, lemon or lime juice, different fresh herbs, or chopped green onions.