BBQ ‘beer-can’ chicken
Try something different on your barbecue with this tasty recipe for super-moist chicken. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
For the chicken
- 4 tbsp light golden ale, plus 500ml/17floz to marinade the chicken, plus 300ml/10½fl oz light golden ale for roasting (reserve the empty beer can)
- 90g/3oz malt extract
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp English mustard powder
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp muscovado sugar
- 1 x 2kg/4lb 4oz chicken, preferably free-range
- 160g/5½oz butter
- pinch salt
- For the chicken, mix four tablespoons of the ale, the malt extract, chilli powder, mustard, garlic, smoked paprika and sugar together in a bowl to make a paste.
- Rub the paste all over the chicken and set aside to marinate for three hours. Pour over 500ml/18fl oz of ale and leave to marinade overnight
- Preheat the barbecue (it is best to use a barbecue with a lid) or alternatively preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Rinse the marinade off the chicken and pat dry. Carefully smear the butter under the chicken skin and over the thighs and season with salt. Pour the 300ml/10½fl oz ale into the reserved beer can, then carefully place the chicken onto the beer can, so that the chicken is sitting upright, with the can in its cavity.
- Roast the chicken for 40-45 minutes, basting a couple of times. Remove the chicken from the barbecue or oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.