3 the Best Black Tea Recipes
Black and green teas comprise the majority of the tea consumed around the world. Due to its bold flavor and its suitability for pairing with Western foods, black tea is the most popular type of tea in Europe and North America. Explore black tea recipes covering some of the wide range of types of black tea and ways to use it in hot and cold drinks, including cocktails and mocktails.
Black Tea-Infused Vodka Recipe
- 750 milliliters neutral-tasting vodka (a.k.a. “a fifth”)
- 6 level teaspoons black tea leaves (good quality), (The tea can be flavored or unflavored, but unflavored tea vodkas usually have a cleaner, more mixable flavor.)
- Using a funnel, place the tea leaves into the bottle of vodka. If necessary, lightly crush them first or use a chopstick to fit them through the funnel and into the bottle.
- Replace the cap of the bottle and shake well.
- Steep for about 18 hours, or to taste.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and funnel into a different bottle. (If you plan to add simple syrup, use a larger bottle.)
- Discard the tea leaves. Add simple syrup to the remaining solution if desired.
- Serve straight, on the rocks or as a base for more complex cocktails.
Black Tea Hot Toddy Recipe With Rum, Whiskey or Brandy Recipe
- 1 cup water, either filtered or unfiltered.
- Optional: 5 cloves
- Optional: 1 stick cinnamon
- Optional: 1 piece star anise
- 1 tablespoon black tea (preferably a strong Keemun black tea)
- 1 tablespoon honey (preferably a strong, dark honey)
- 2 ounces brandy, dark rum or whiskey, such as Jameson Irish Whiskey
- 1 wedge lemon
- Combine water and spices in a pot.
- Bring water to just below boiling and remove from heat.
- Add tea leaves.
- Steep for 4 minutes, and then strain into a large mug.
- Stir in honey.
- Float brandy, rum or whiskey on the top of the drink.
- Squeeze lemon into the mug.
- Optional: Drop the lemon into the mug for a stronger citrus flavor.
Masala Chai (Chai Tea)
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute
- 2 cups water
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 crushed green cardamom pods
- 2 crushed peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 grape-sized piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. black tea leaves
- Combine milk, water, and spices in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and tea leaves. Stir, and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain into glasses or mugs and serve.