Google updated its subscription plans for cloud storage with the introduction of the Google One program in 2018. What does it have to offer, how much does it cost, and are there any extra benefits? Here’s everything you need to know about Google One.
What is Google One?
The basic idea is to bring all your cloud storage needs under one banner. The storage you buy — or even the free 15GB available to anyone with a Google account — is shared across Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail. Apart from the new moniker, Google also introduced a few new storage tiers to make it a more compelling option.
That said, you still access your files using those apps, so nothing changes as far as file interaction goes. The Google One app is for managing your subscription, contacting Google experts, and accessing a host of other benefits like hotel discounts, Google Play Store credit, discounts on Google hardware, and shopping offers (via Google Express), with many more to come. Anyone with paid Google Drive storage will also automatically be moved to an equivalent plan.
Where is it available?
Google One was only available in the U.S. initially. Since then, the service has rolled out in more than 140 countries. From Albania to Zimbabwe, you shouldn’t have any problems signing up. You can find the full list supported countries here.
How much does it cost?
Everyone with a Google account gets 15GB of cloud storage for free. This also comes with unlimited storage if you’re okay with compressing files in Google Photos to a “high quality.” Storage limits count only if you choose to save your photos in the original size and quality. If you need more than what is available for free, Google’s new subscription plans are pretty affordable.
- 100GB: $1.99 per month or $19.99 per year
- 200GB: $2.99 per month or $29.99 per year
- 2TB: $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year
- 10TB: $99.99 per month
- 20TB: $199.99 per month
- 30TB: $299.99 per month
The prices above are for the U.S. and differ depending on where you are. When looking at currency conversions though, there isn’t a huge difference in price from country to country.
Can you share Google cloud storage?
The cloud storage you buy can be shared with five additional (six in total) family members by creating a family group or by sharing a plan with an existing group. Of course, only the storage plan is shared. No one else in the group will be able to access the files and photos you have saved. All members of the family group will also be able to take advantage of the extra perks that are available as well. The one caveat here is that all group members have to be in the same country.
Apart from extra cloud storage, you can also take advantage of a slew of additional features and benefits as well.
- Google Experts: Have a question about Google’s products and services? These are the people you turn to. As a part of your plan, you have direct access to Google Experts who answer your questions and help with general troubleshooting. Google Experts are available wherever Google One is, but the level of support depends on the language.
- Additional benefits: Google also offers some extra benefits, that range from Google Play credits and special discounts on hardware and services, to hotel deals and shopping offers. These benefits vary from country to country though, but Google is continuously rolling out new perks in every region.
How to sign up for Google One
- You will need a Google account to sign up. If you don’t, you will have to create one first.
- Once you are signed in to the account, go the subscription page to pick a plan.
- Complete the payment and you’re done!
Additionally, you can also sign up using the mobile app.
- Download the app from the Google Play Store.
- Select or sign in with your Google account.
- If you aren’t subscribed to a plan, tap on the “Become a member” button on the welcome page.
- Select a plan and pay for the subscription